Skip to main content
The contents of these pages have been automatically translated into the selected language. Deviations from the contents of the original page are therefore possible.

Financial & formalities

There are a number of financial and legal issues associated with being a parent. But there is good news, because as a family you benefit from numerous advantages.

Did you know that you can insure children and your spouse in the statutory health insurance scheme free of charge under certain conditions? We have summarized all the important information on family insurance for you.

As a family, you also benefit from numerous tax advantages. For example, in the form of various tax-free allowances. Child benefit, maintenance payments, relief amounts - we'll help you keep track of all the financial relief available to you.

Did you know that child-raising periods count towards your pension? Find out what you need to do.

An issue for many couples: around one in three children born have unmarried parents. In these cases, a number of legal and financial issues need to be clarified, e.g. paternity acknowledgement and joint custody.

You can find helpful information on all these topics at Familienportal.NRW.

Information aboutvarious topics

Services on the topicFamily and child


If you are raising your child alone, you can apply for a guardianship for your child at the youth welfare office. The guardian will help you to legally clarify paternity and/or to enforce your child's maintenance claims.

Education and participation package

Does your family receive benefits under SGB II, SGB XII, AsylbLG, housing benefit or child supplement? Then you can receive financial support for participation in school, daycare, child daycare and leisure activities as well as equipment, meals and transportation.

Parental allowance

If you take a break from your job or work part-time after the birth, you will receive parental allowance. This financial benefit allows you to take time for your child and family. Here you will find important information you need to know about parental allowance.

Birth announcement

The birth of your child must be reported to the relevant registry office.

Birth announcement - certificate miscarriage

A miscarriage or stillbirth is a severe blow for the parents concerned. You can report the birth at the competent registry office and get a certificate of this.

Birth announcement - home birth

If your child was born at home, there are a few things you need to keep in mind to report the birth.

Childcare - Registration

You are looking for a place for your child in day care or a day nursery? This way! Find out as early as possible from the daycare center or daycare provider of your choice or from your local youth welfare office whether there are free childcare places at the facility or daycare provider you want.

Childcare - calculation of the parental contribution

You have received the commitment for a childcare place for your child? Then you will certainly also want to know how high the parental contributions for the childcare place are. Find out early on from your local youth welfare office whether it charges parental contributions, how much they are, if any, and what the assessment basis is for the amount of the contribution. This information is specified in the local parent contribution statutes.

Childcare - waiver of parental contribution

You have received the commitment for a childcare place for your child? Then you would certainly also like to know whether you have to pay parental contributions for the care place. Find out early at your local youth welfare office, whether it collects parental contributions, how much they are, if any, and which assessment basis applies to the amount of the contribution. This information is specified in the local parental contribution statutes. If you receive unemployment benefit II or social welfare, social assistance, housing benefit, asylum benefits or child supplement, you will be exempt from parental contributions for the months in which you receive these benefits.

Child benefit

Child benefit is paid to all families, regardless of their income. It is paid from birth until at least the child's 18th birthday. Under certain conditions, child benefit is available until the 25th birthday.

Child supplement

In some families, money is tight. If the parents' income is not enough to provide well for the entire family, there is a monthly supplement from the state in addition to child benefit. In which cases you get the child supplement and how you can apply for it, you can find out here.

Multiples allowance

When the birth of triplets or more multiples is announced, parents soon face special challenges. In addition: Especially at the beginning, the expenses increase by leaps and bounds, because the purchases for the baby equipment multiply. This is where the payment of multiple birth benefits aims to provide special support for large families.

Maternity recognition

In Germany, motherhood is clearly regulated: Mother of a child is the woman who gave birth to the child.
This regulation does not apply to all countries. If the mother is not married, according to the law of some states, a relationship between mother and child only arises when the mother makes a declaration in which she acknowledges the child.

Maternity benefits

During the maternity protection periods, (expectant) mothers are under special legal protection. Before and after the birth, they are not allowed to work for a certain period of time. The Maternity Protection Act ensures that mothers do not suffer any financial disadvantage during this time. Employees receive up to 100 percent of their previous net income, consisting of maternity pay and an employer allowance.

Declaration of care

Whether it's about choosing a school, taking part in a vacation camp or medical treatment, many decisions have to be made while a child is growing up. Even parents who are not married to each other can share this responsibility for your child. Here you can find out what joint custody means and how to arrange it.

Maintenance advance

Care, education, job, household: single parents bear most of the responsibility alone. Financial worries are added when no or not regular maintenance is paid for the child by the other parent. In this situation, single parents can apply for advance maintenance payments.

Acknowledgement of paternity

If the parents are not married to each other, the natural father of a child is not automatically also the legally recognized father. Recognition with all rights and obligations only takes place through the public certification of a declaration by the father. The mother must agree to the declaration.