Skip to main content
The contents of these pages have been automatically translated into the selected language. Deviations from the contents of the original page are therefore possible.

Financial & formalities

By the time the little ones grow up, there are a lot of expenses for your offspring. But there is support from the state. Families and children receive financial aid and state benefits. The best time to find out more is during your pregnancy.

You've probably already asked yourself these questions: Which tax bracket is best for couples with children? Is a change worthwhile for us - perhaps even before the birth? Find information and decision-making aids to help you take advantage of tax benefits for your family.

You must register your newborn child with your health insurance provider within two months of the birth, as there is a statutory insurance obligation in Germany. We give you tips on how you can benefit from family insurance to reduce your healthcare costs.

Want a little house with a garden where your child can run around? Find out here about interest rate reductions and subsidies for building or buying a house if you are thinking about your own four walls for your family.

If you have any questions about naming rights for marriage and birth, you will also find detailed explanations and helpful tips below.

In short: As parents-to-be, you will find comprehensive guidance on financial and formal matters on the Familienportal.NRW.

Information aboutvarious topics

Services on the topicFamily and child


If you are raising your child alone, you can apply for a guardianship for your child at the youth welfare office. The guardian will help you to legally clarify paternity and/or to enforce your child's maintenance claims.

Education and participation package

Does your family receive benefits under SGB II, SGB XII, AsylbLG, housing benefit or child supplement? Then you can receive financial support for participation in school, daycare, child daycare and leisure activities as well as equipment, meals and transportation.

Parental allowance

If you take a break from your job or work part-time after the birth, you will receive parental allowance. This financial benefit allows you to take time for your child and family. Here you will find important information you need to know about parental allowance.

Birth announcement

The birth of your child must be reported to the relevant registry office.

Birth announcement - certificate miscarriage

A miscarriage or stillbirth is a severe blow for the parents concerned. You can report the birth at the competent registry office and get a certificate of this.

Birth announcement - home birth

If your child was born at home, there are a few things you need to keep in mind to report the birth.

Birth certificate

You can get the birth certificate for your child from the registry office of the place of birth.

Midwifery Aid

The midwife is a valuable companion during pregnancy and the postpartum period. (Expectant) mothers who have statutory health insurance are entitled to the support of a midwife before and after birth. The costs are covered by the health insurance.

Child benefit

Child benefit is paid to all families, regardless of their income. It is paid from birth until at least the child's 18th birthday. Under certain conditions, child benefit is available until the 25th birthday.

Infertility treatments

If the desire to have a child remains unfulfilled, this can have many causes. In many cases, treatment is possible. However, this can be associated with significant costs.

Child supplement

In some families, money is tight. If the parents' income is not enough to provide well for the entire family, there is a monthly supplement from the state in addition to child benefit. In which cases you get the child supplement and how you can apply for it, you can find out here.

Multiples allowance

When the birth of triplets or more multiples is announced, parents soon face special challenges. In addition: Especially at the beginning, the expenses increase by leaps and bounds, because the purchases for the baby equipment multiply. This is where the payment of multiple birth benefits aims to provide special support for large families.

Maternity recognition

In Germany, motherhood is clearly regulated: Mother of a child is the woman who gave birth to the child.
This regulation does not apply to all countries. If the mother is not married, according to the law of some states, a relationship between mother and child only arises when the mother makes a declaration in which she acknowledges the child.

Maternity benefits

During the maternity protection periods, (expectant) mothers are under special legal protection. Before and after the birth, they are not allowed to work for a certain period of time. The Maternity Protection Act ensures that mothers do not suffer any financial disadvantage during this time. Employees receive up to 100 percent of their previous net income, consisting of maternity pay and an employer allowance.

Declaration of care

Whether it's about choosing a school, taking part in a vacation camp or medical treatment, many decisions have to be made while a child is growing up. Even parents who are not married to each other can share this responsibility for your child. Here you can find out what joint custody means and how to arrange it.

Maintenance advance

Care, education, job, household: single parents bear most of the responsibility alone. Financial worries are added when no or not regular maintenance is paid for the child by the other parent. In this situation, single parents can apply for advance maintenance payments.

Acknowledgement of paternity

If the parents are not married to each other, the natural father of a child is not automatically also the legally recognized father. Recognition with all rights and obligations only takes place through the public certification of a declaration by the father. The mother must agree to the declaration.